Well, the Heroes’ Discussion Group reunited with a bang. We talked about Saga on and off for three hours and spent the rest of the time talking comics with legendary penciller Steve Bissette who stopped by with our friend Craig Fischer on a lark! It was a tremendous afternoon—I was less a moderator and more of a plate-spinner with an itch between the shoulders. We had a blast. Thanks to all of you who attended.
Now we turn our sights onto Halloween. In the past we’ve done Walking Dead and From Hell. This year it is time we jumped feet first into the Mike Mignola-verse and talk about Hellboy and B.P.R.D. The amount of consistent quality pages delivered by Mignola and team centering on everyone’s favorite earth-bound demon and his fellow bureau agents of Paranormal research and defense is legion. So, we asked all of our Mignolaphiles which books we should tackle. Based on a consensus over-seen by our own Seth Peagler (thanks Seth!) we have decided on the following trade paperbacks:
- Hellboy: Wake the Devil—an early complete Hellboy story arc
- Hellboy: The Chained Coffin—a really solid collections of shorter Hellboy pieces
- B.P.R.D.—The Dead—one of the best of the early B.P.R.D. extended stories.
Topics will include:
- The art by Mignola (Hellboy) and Guy Davis (BPRD) and how their different styles affect the storytelling
- The supporting cast (certainly one of the largest and most interesting around)
- The way Hellboy/BPRD is published—can new readers jump in anywhere?
- The use of comedy relief
- The consistency of the series
- And for any who are already well-versed with Mignola’s work: What should the new readers pick up next?
- And a whole lot more! If you’ve been putting these series off—this is a perfect time to give it a try!
We hope you will join us for a belated Halloween on Saturday November 2nd at 1:00pm. As usual we will meet at the store and repair to either the Tavern or Bakery across the way.
As usual, Heroes is offering the 10% Discussion Discount on these three books. But as a special incentive–if you purchase all three we are offering a 20% savings. That’s 3 Trades for only 45.00. Just remember to remind the clerk of the discount when you check out. (The overwhelming and ever-present smell of Mylar is starting to get to us.)
Hope you’ll join us and Happy Halloween!