Archive for the ‘EVENTS’
Free Comic Book Day 2015 at Heroes is TOMORROW! Come out and meet amazing comic artists, get free comics and have a great time with your pals at Heroes Aren’t Hard To Find! Check out our awesome guest list below!
Unfortunately, Sanford Greene had to cancel his appearance this year.
Creators will be signing from 1PM to 5PM (or longer at the creators’ discretion)
RICHARD COMELY - Creator of Captain Canuck
BRIDGIT CONNELL – Brother Nash
JOEY ELLIS – Leaky Timbers
JOHN HAIRSTON JR – Painter
DUSTIN HARBIN – Behold! The Dinosaurs, Diary Comics
JASON LATOUR – Artist: Southern Bastards Writer: Spider-Gwen
FRANK MARTINEZ – Artist: The Highwind
HOYT SILVA – Artist: Quatermain: Ghosts of the Nzadi
BRIAN STELFREEZE – Artist: Day Men, Domino, Matador, Batman: Shadow of the Bat
RIAN SYGH – Artist: Regular Show, Stolen Forest, Munchkin, Teen Dog
CHRIS VISIONS – Artist: Dead Letters
Check out this article by Scoop Editor Jeff Vaughn about the history of our current location and sign up for their weekly newsletter while you’re there! See you this Saturday for Free Comic Book Day!
Check out this live interview with the creators of Spider-Gwen! Jason Latour, Robbi Rodriguez, and Rico Renzi talk about the creation of the character and more. If you missed the Spider-Gwen Release Party, don’t miss our next event!
If you couldn’t make it, 3 copies of our limited edition The Mary Janes (Married With Sea Monsters) Face It Tiger 7″ vinyl records are being listed on ebay today. Happy bidding! Click here to visit our store.
Save the date because Free Comic Book Day 2015 at Heroes is going to be our best yet! Come out on May 2nd to meet great comic artists, get free comics and have a great time with your pals at Heroes Aren’t Hard To Find! Full guest list and list of available comics coming soon!
We’ve been getting so many questions from excited Spider-Gwen fans coming to the Release Party! It’s almost here and we’ll be your one-stop shop for all things Spider-Gwen. The entire creative team for Spider-Gwen #1 (and of course Edge of Spider-Verse #2) will be on hand to sign everything you purchase here plus up to 5 items you’ve brought with you. CBCS: Comic Book Certification Service will be on site if you’d like to submit your book for grading and signature certification. Married With Sea Monsters will be performing their Mary Janes songs at intervals during the signing, and along with Junior Astronomers playing a full set at our After Party!
We’ll keep updating this page as new stuff comes up.
ITEMS FOR SALE:
- Spider-Gwen #1 (This includes the regular cover, Heroes variant, Skottie Young variant, Anka 1:25 variant, Hughes 1:100 variant, and we’ll even have a few of the other store variants you’ve been seeing online right here for you!)
- The Mary Janes – Face It Tiger 7″ white vinyl by Married With Sea Monsters
- The Mary Janes tour shirt (Heroes exclusive magenta ink on black shirt)
- 10am – Store opens!
(All items will be on sale at this time. The 7″ vinyl and t-shirts are limited so make sure you get here early to snag those.)
- If you are here for the signing please let us know and we will give you a numbered wristband that will let you know your place in line once the signing begins.
- 1pm-5pm – Signing
- 9pm – Store closes
- 9pm – Spider-Gwen After Party at Snug Harbor doors open!
- 10pm – Married With Sea Monsters performs!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
- Will Heroes exclusives be available online? If we have anything left after Saturday they will be here and here.
Heroes Spider-Gwen #1 variant, signed copies and more available for pre-order here!
- How many items can we get signed? Creators will sign up to 5 items not purchased on Saturday at Heroes. Also, you can get in line again to get 5 more items signed if time allows.
- How much will comics, shirts, records cost? Spider-Gwen #1 regular cover – $3.99 Variant covers – Prices TBA including some Release Party specials, Face It Tiger 7″ – $20, Mary Janes T-shirt – $20
- How many comics, shirts, records can I buy? We reserve the right to limit quantities on any of the items we are selling at the Release Party.
- How much is the After Party? $10 ticket includes admission to Snug Harbor to see full sets from Married With Sea Monsters and Junior Astronomers and a gig poster featuring Jason Latour Spider-Gwen art. Get tix here!
Is Peanuts the greatest sustained work of comic art over the past 65 years? That is up for debate, but Charles Schulz 50 year run as sole creator is one of the most popular, endearing and recognizable comics of all time. The question for the Discussion group is why?
This will be the 3rd time we’ve tackled a bona fide comic classic; the other two were Tintin and Bark’s Donald Duck. At first we were going to have a vote as to which strip we would spotlight, but we quickly realized that if we are going to dive into the world of newspaper comic strips, Peanuts is unquestionably the ideal starting point.
As to why we’ve selected Volume 7 1963 – 1964 (Linus is on the cover!); it was the year when Peanuts grew into a phenomenon. Make sure you read the short introduction. It is worth the ten minute investment. But there are many more reasons why Volume 7 is crucial and we will mull that over throughout the afternoon.
So plan to join us on Saturday March 7th at NOON. As usual, we will meet at the store and repair to a local watering hole.
Topics will include:
- The pacing of a daily-as well as the Sunday- strip as opposed to a comic book page
- How reading a serialized strip in large doses changes the peanuts experience.
- Does the reader identify with the characters or react to them.
- Are they children or small adults and does it really matter?
- Preference: The gag a day strips in comparison to Schulz week long story-line
- Can you read the strip without identifying directly with the creator?
- And how-about that daydreaming dog of the round-headed kid.
We have read the notorious and controversial Schulz and Peanuts a Biography by David Michaelis and we plan to introduce a few of the choicest and most polarizing talking-points to see if you agree with the biographers assessment of the man and his art.
As usual, Heroes is offering The Complete Peanuts Volume 7 1963-1964 with the special 10% Discussion Group discount, just remember to mention it to the clerk when you buy it.
We look forward to having Peanuts fans, devotees and perhaps even a detractor or two. You are welcome to join us even if you have not read Volume 7, but experiencing this wonderful tome is recommended. We promise this will be one of the most fascinating afternoons we’ve ever had.
See you on Saturday March 7th at NOON, you BLOCKHEADS.
The fun doesn’t end after our Spider-Gwen #1 Release Party. Join us for more fun and live music at Snug Harbor with special guests Married With Sea Monsters and Junior Astronomers! Don’t miss your chance to see these bands in this intimate setting. Married With Sea Monsters has been working on some new “Mary Janes” songs and this will be your first opportunity to hear them!
Married With Sea Monsters became a sensation with their cover of The Mary Janes song “Face It Tiger” featured in Edge of Spider-Verse #2 from Marvel Comics and featuring the debut of the Gwen Stacy Spider-Woman!
Local post-punk heroes Junior Astronomers always bring the ruckus!
Once again you really showed up for Charlotte MiniCon AND Second Harvest Food Bank (16,000 lbs of food!!)! Thank you so much! We’d love to hear about the great things you found and saw at the show and see your photos. Share them with us on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr and Instagram. Please tag them with #CLTMiniCon so everyone can find them! Check out our photos from the event here!
Next up…SPIDER-GWEN #1 Release Party on Saturday, February 28th! If you can’t make it to this event, you can pre-order your Heroes exclusive Jason Latour variant right now!
Looks like the Charlotte MiniCon (#CLTMiniCon on social media please!) is just a little less mini this year. We have our first ever host hotel for our out-of-town guests. Le Méridien Charlotte is offering our guests a $149 rate that includes self-parking and WiFi in guest rooms when you contact Alana Johnson (call or email) and reference “Charlotte Mini-Con”. Check the place out for yourself, it’s beautiful and conveniently located to MiniCon. www.lemeridiencharlotte.com/
Contact Alana Johnson
Don’t forget to get registered for #CLTMiniCon here and please bring a non-perishable food item for Second Harvest Food Bank for FREE admission.